⏳3 minute read.
Kool-Aid is a perfect example of how a 93-year-old brand continues to stay relevant by moving with the times and targeting the next generation of consumers.
Kool–Aid is a brand of flavoured drink mix owned by Kraft Heinz based in Chicago, Illinois. The powder form was created by Edwin Perkins in 1927.
In this article – you will learn:
- How a classic drinks brand manages to attract a new generation of consumers.
- How Kool-Aid includes its ‘Oh Yeah!’ slogan in almost ALL its social media.
- How Kool-Aid targeted Gen Z with the help of rapper Lil Jon on TikTok.
The story behind the Kool-Aid Man:
- Kool-Aid Man, “the Pitcher Man”, was created on July 10, 1954 by Marvin Potts, an art director for a New York advertising agency.
- Inspired by watching his young son draw smiley faces on a frosted window, Potts created the Pitcher Man, a glass pitcher with a wide smile emblazoned on its side and filled with Kool-Aid.
- He became one of the most beloved characters in advertising history – more popular than Ronald McDonald.
- The Kool-Aid man smashes into walls and shouts, “Oh yeah!,” and this has become one of the catchiest slogans in the USA.
- You may have seen him make guest appearances in Family Guy and The Simpsons:
How cool is Kool-Aid on social media?
- The Kool-Aid brand mascot is at the heart of its social media strategy.
- The “Oh Yeah!” slogan features in almost all of its social media posts – each presented in a new and creative way.
Here are just a few examples:
- The repetition drills the slogan into memory banks – like it or hate it, you will remember it!
How Kool-Aid targets Gen-Z
- Kool-Aid actively seeks to expand its consumer base (Gen Z) ensuring that the brand stays fresh and relevant.
- It crashes into popular Gen Z platforms, such as Snapchat and TikTok.
- Last December, Kool-Aid debuted its first campaign on TikTok with a #OhYEAHChristmas hashtag challenge that asked people to post videos of themselves getting into the holiday spirit for a chance to win $10,000.
- The campaign featured three holiday-themed videos with brand mascot Kool-Aid Man and rapper Lil Jon on the TikTok @koolaidmanofficial account.
While the essence of the iconic Kool-Aid man remains the same, its tone of voice and the platforms it utilises have all been updated to keep up with a new generation of fans.
He went from a traditional and family-friendly character:
To a butt-shaking, sassy and ‘in your face’ timeless icon that can now even be considered as a rapper👇: